Monday, June 7, 2010

Africa Bound!

As I prepare to leave in the next week I am overwhelmed with excitement. For a while now, God has been putting a desire on my heart to travel to Africa in order to reach out to the people there; when and where I left up to him to decide. The opportunity I have been given is so amazing; I will be traveling to Kitale, Kenya with a team of 16 others, mainly college students and will be there for the next 7 weeks. (June 14th-August 1st)

This trip is a part of a huge cause, called the P.E.A.C.E. plan, which aims to mobilize one billion Christians around the globe in an outreach effort. The vision is to address the world’s five giant problems, which include: Spiritual Emptiness, Corrupt Leadership, Extreme Poverty, Pandemic Disease, and Rampant Illiteracy. Each of the letters in P.E.A.C.E. represents one of these problems.

Promote Reconciliation
Equip Servant Leaders
Assist The Poor
Care For The Sick
Educate The Next generation

During the trip, we will be introduced to each of the ministries supported by this organization and are able to pick two to three of the ministries that we feel called to help during the next seven weeks of our time there, depending on where our passion lies. I hope to be able to work closely with children whether it be in the orphanages or the schools. (:

Some of these ministries include a center called Oasis of Hope, which aims to reach out to and work with orphaned street children. A program called Discover to Recover provides education to children who have parents living with Aids and are HIV positive. These families have been kicked out of their cities and towns because of the disease so they are at a loss of jobs, income, and education. Discover to Recover provides education to these children. I also have the choice to work with the nurses in the local hospitals, teach English in a large school called The Purpose Driven School, build, paint, and restore homes, and teach mothers how to knit. We will basically be reaching out to those in need and showing God’s love to them in an extremely tangible way.

The team and I will be living on a compound that is located in Kitale, and many of these ministries are in walking distance from the compound. I will have to opportunity to grow and connect with the other team members in an amazing way, experience a culture completely outside of what I am used to, and at the same time serve God and reach out to others.

In these next few weeks, as well as during my trip, I would be so blessed to have your prayers supporting me and my team. We will be faced with many difficult situations, and in many cases be put in situations that we are not comfortable with. Pray for safety, pray that the team will be able to connect and work together, pray the we may be able to show God's love to everyone we come in contact with, pray that we can be lights in a country that so desperately needs our help. Pray that we will not get worn out and tired, that we will not get homesick, pray for encouragement and comfort, and just pray that it will be an amazing, life-changing experience for all of us.

God has opened up a door for me to develop a greater heart of compassion for His people around the world, and I could not be more excited about this amazing mission trip. Keep up to date on what i am doing and enjoy my posts and pictures. (:

Thank you all for your support!

1 comment:

  1. i love you! i told you i would comment this haha but me family and i will pray for you while you're there and i you better update this thing a lot!

    ReplyDelete